NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S – The First NIKKOR Z Super Telephoto
The new NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S is a premium, S-line telephoto zoom lens with an extremely long 100-400mm range for Z mount mirrorless camera users, including the all-new Z 9. Well suited for sports, wildlife and those in the field, the lens features a great combination of focal range and wide aperture for professional photographers, advanced enthusiasts and photo hobbyists who want to dynamically capture distant subjects. This S-line lens is designed to the strictest standards, offering excellent sharpness and clarity with minimum aberration and color fringing even at the maximum aperture, throughout the entire zoom range.
This lens is the lightest in its class, weighing only 1355g1, making it easy to use handheld. It’s superbly balanced, purposely built with a small 80-degree rotation angle and new “Inner Balance Technology”2, which minimizes the weight shift caused by zooming. Content creators will appreciate the minimal focus breathing, while the 5.5 stop optical VR3 will help to provide smooth video and sharp stills.
Primary features of the NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S
- The first super-telephoto zoom lens in the NIKKOR Z lineup that covers a focal length range from 100 to 400mm.
- Multi-focusing system that utilizes two STMs (stepping motors), enabling fast, precise and quiet AF operation for both stills and videos.
- Employs an optical vibration reduction function with an effect equivalent to a shutter speed 5.5 stops faster, which is the highest among NIKKOR Z lenses.
- While lateral chromatic aberration is optically corrected, axial chromatic aberration is also significantly reduced via the adoption of Super ED glass and ED glass elements, providing clear images across the entire frame from maximum aperture.
- Nikon’s original Nano Crystal Coat and ARNEO Coat are both adopted to effectively reduce ghost and flare effects even in backlit situations.
- With the attachment of teleconverters, the focal length can be extended to 560mm and 800mm4 while maintaining high resolution.
- Features the highest maximum reproduction ratio of 38x (at the maximum telephoto position) in its class1 that lets users shoot flowers and insects in large size, with a minimum focusing distance of 0.75M (2.46 inches) to allow users to get closer to their subjects.
- The shortest3 rotation angle of 80 degrees in its class for the zoom ring enables users to rotate the zoom ring from the wide-angle position to the telephoto position in just one motion, without adjusting lens holding.
- The click-less control ring realizes smooth operation and reduced operational sound during video recording.
- Features a design with consideration for video recording, including effectively reduced shifting of a focus position when zooming in or out and the angle of view when adjusting focus.
- Superior dust- and drip-resistant capability4, high reliability that comes from both robustness and weather resistance, and excellent anti-fouling performance via the employment of fluorine coat.